Welcome to my confessions... they aren't quite confessions, but welcome anyway...



Friday, March 5, 2010

Why My Faith In My Generation Has Been Somewhat More Restored

I am against Twilight.
I am just against it.
The book idealizes abusive boyfriends, creepy stalking, the consumption of animal blood, and complete dependence on males.
Not saying that I am a feminist, which I am not, but COME ON!!!
How can anyone think that Edward Cullen is the perfect guy?
He stalks Bella, the whiny protagonist, and watches her while she is sleeping without her knowledge. Now, I would be OK if my boyfriend (If I had one) watched me while I slept...If I allowed him to.
Bella doesn't even know that he is watching her. And that is just creepy.
I mean seriously!
And then when Edward finally does let Bella in on his little secret, which, by the way, she didn't react to AT ALL, it was just like "I'm a vampire." "What's your favorite color?" I mean what?
I just don't understand.
Now, I've read the books. I have; I admit it. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews from 'Don't waste your time on it' to 'You will get caught up it and fall in love.' I just needed to formulate my own opinion, so I read it.
I'm sorry, Ms. Meyer, but that book could have been about 150 pages shorter.
And some of the sentences, seriously?
"I look like my mother, only with some differences?" I paraphrased, but what?
WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR MOTHER LOOKS LIKE, BELLA, SO THEREFORE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE, LOSER!!!
Bella is a very generic teenager. Actually she is not generic. She is strange. She was reading Wuthering Heights in the book. I mean, I haven't read Wuthering Heights. Yet. I will someday. But Bella is reading Wuthering Heights again. What normal teenager does that? I mean, if she were normal, she would be reading Twilight. (I got that idea from Alex Day, aka nerimon, who I watch faithfully and enjoy his little Twilight series. Alex, your astute observations never fail to make me laugh until I cry.)
And besides the fact that Bella is clearly not normal and a very whiny girl, she is completely dependant upon Edward. This is shown in New Moon, when he leaves. She goes into a comatose depression. That, my friends, is just wrong. She goes into a comatose depression just because her boyfriend decided to split? Can you spell W-R-O-N-G?
Then when she finally decides to get on with her life, she leeches onto another male, her friend Jacob, who, I must say, is one of the more likable characters in this book.
And then we get to Eclipse, where Bella is... you know what, I completely forget what happens in that book. I don't care, either way. Oh, wait, Edward comes back, blah blah blah, Jacob gets jealous, blah blah blah, a vampire is trying to kill Bella again, blah blah blah, Edward asks her to marry him, OH MY GOD MARRIAGE AT EIGHTEEN!!!!
BELLA'S MOM IS GOING TO KILL HER!!!
And then we get to Breaking Dawn, which is one of the better points in the series. This is because there is a point of view other than whiny Bella's. It is Jacob's, and I actually semi-enjoyed that part of the novel. But Breaking Dawn revolves around sex, teen pregnancy, early motherhood, Bella turning into a vampire, Bella being chased by a vampire, Jacob falling in love with Bella's infant daughter, and then the eventual generic happy ending.
It is not even worth tearing apart.
I'm just going to say, I didn't barf at all the cheesy lines.
So the title of this blog is Why My Faith In My Generation Has Been Somewhat Restored. I know I just ranted about for like five pages about how much I hate Twilight, but that was getting to a point, believe me.
My faith in my generation has been somewhat restored by this - I looked up Twilight on Google today to see how sickening the results were, and the first made sense. It was "100 Reasons Why Twilight is Better Than Harry Potter" which I don't agree with and totally dis because Harry Potter will forever be number one in my heart, and the second entry was what restored my faith. It was "How Twilight Is Destroying America and Harming Our Nation's Youth."
And that, my friends, is what restored my faith.
I'm going to go read that now.
Have a great weekend, all.
~Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment