Welcome to my confessions... they aren't quite confessions, but welcome anyway...



Monday, March 15, 2010

Rain and Why It Needs To STOP.

To all of those living on the Eastern Seaboard near the vicinity of Boston, all of you will feel my pain on this one.
RAIN SUCKS.
THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY.
I mean, I like rain when it is warm rain, like in the summer when it is so warm you can just run around in a bathing suit and wash your hair and dance until the thunder comes.
Rain in March isn't in the least bit fun.
It is cold, and wet, and uncomfortable.
The ground is still frozen, and so the water seeps down a few inches, and then has nowhere else to go, so it just pops back up to the surface and makes those huge puddles that are the reason I have huge rain boots.
Oh, and thank you Mom, for explaining that frozen ground phenomenon. I wouldn't have been able to get that on my own. Props to my mother!
It has been raining for three days, nonstop.
IT SUCKS!
SO MUCH!
My house is flooding right now, as I speak.
I'm not at my house, I'm writing this from my local library because I'm not at home, if me stating that I was at my local library wasn't enough to stress that fact.
So we apparently have three wet-dry vacuums going, with my valiant father manning them, since he is the only person at home, besides my little brother, but he is seven, so I don't really think that he will be emptying one of those huge buckets anytime soon. He's strong, but not that strong.
So back to the flooding.
I live at the bottom of a hill, with the back of my house forty feet away from what me and my neighbors lovingly refer to as the "Bog". Believe me, you lose a shoe in that gunk, say goodbye to it, because you will never see it again.
Ever.
The Bog eats shoes. Also, don't fall in, because it makes you smell really, really funky for a while.
So because my house is situated in a place which makes it very susceptible to flooding, it floods.
Here's a snapshot of my house.
It is a small, white house, with a black roof, green shutters and green doors, and a large brown fence in the front yard (the fence is for my in-ground pool. I know, how lucky am I? Not very, considering the weather right now. It's OK, you can think it.) and a bunch of trees. Part of my house is built right into a hill, and on the other side of that hill we have my driveway, which is a pain in the bum to get out of in the winter. So the half of my house that is built into the side of a hill is also my basement.
My basement is finished, and we have a bunch of stuff down there, so I really hope that nothing gets ruined.
The last time we flooded bad, I forgot to pick up my Barbies and I ended up having to throw them all out. It was a sad but strangely liberating experience. After that I stuck to books.
Also, the last time we flooded, the sinkhole between my house and my neighbors filled up and then pooled over and streamed down into the Bog, so the Bog rose. The Bog is rising this time as well, and instead of being forty feet away from the back of my house, it is only about twenty.
The ducks, at least, are enjoying themselves.
Oh, to be a duck.
Well, I have to end this horrendously long thing eventually, so I will bid you all adieu, auf weidersein, so long, farewell, and all that jazz.
I may not write again, because all this rain may just uproot everything and float everything away, likening Massachusetts to Noah and the Ark.
Yours in eternal wetness,
~Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment