Welcome to my confessions... they aren't quite confessions, but welcome anyway...



Saturday, May 1, 2010

Why the Title of My Blog Is A Lie

I feel that I have to confess something.
I am not a novelist.
I have not, and am not currently writing a novel.
I haven't even wrote a decent short story.
So, quite possibly, the title of this blog is a lie, because in no way shape or form am I a novelist.
I just scribble dialogue, write character descriptions, make transcripts of conversations I hear, and draw maps.
Lots and lots of maps.
And I have written so many story beginnings, I could make a book out of just those.
It's a curse.
I can write a good beginning, solid, and then I don't know how to get my little characters to the end of their journey.
They are left stranded somewhere, saved forever onto the hard drive of my computer, lost in cyberspace.
My poor characters.
I try so hard, but I always let them down.
It hurts sometimes, odd enough as it is to say it, that I can't bring my characters to the end of their story.
Since they come from my mind, I take great care to make sure that I know every single thing about my characters.
I can write pages and pages about just one person.
Their back story, what they look like, their likes and dislikes, habits, favorite type of music, favorite drink, favorite movie to watch when they're sad, what they like to eat when they wake up in the middle of the night, allergies.
You name it, I know it about my characters.
I know that that sounds creepy, but it's the truth.
I guess sometimes I wish they could come to life so I could see them and talk to them and actually have them answer back.
Yeah, that makes me sound like a raging psychopath.
Whatever.
Enjoy your May Day.
~Elle

3 comments:

  1. I always do the same thing. I need to know EXACTLY what my characters are like, and then I abandom them :( Poor characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?
    I always feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your character's coming to life.
    Perhaps they are haapier floating around in your computer ecause if by chance they did come to life, you would be like there Edward Cullen, knowing EVERYTHING about them which just isn't natural,ever.....

    ReplyDelete