Welcome to my confessions... they aren't quite confessions, but welcome anyway...



Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why I Am A Horrible Person And A Strange Fear Of Mine

First things first, let's all agree that I am not a horrible person ALL the time.
I, like most people, am horrible SOMEtimes, but not ALL the time.
Today is one of those times when I am horrible.
I am a horrible person because today, instead of doing the Walk For Hunger in Boston, I stayed at home in my bed and slept until, oh, 10.
Then my friend Hannah woke me up.
She was calling me from-
Guess where?





You should have guessed by now.
She was calling me from the Walk For Hunger.
And she saw the person I was supposed to go with, my friend Grace.
Grace, I am issuing a public apology and saying that I am a horrible person and that I should have come! I am so VERY sorry!
So, instead of being a productive member of society and doing something for people in need, I watched BBC America until 11:45 at night and then slept for ten hours.
I am indeed, for today at least, a horrible person.
This brings me to a strange fear of mine.
I am terrified of talking on the phone.
I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I am.
I am absolutely terrified of talking on the phone.
But not with my friends or my parents or people I talk to a lot.
In fact, I think I would classify my fear as being afraid to answer the phone.
Anyone in my family can attest to the fact that I never answer the phone unless I think that it is for me.
And even then, sometimes I don't.
The caller ID we have says names weird.
I don't know, I guess that I just don't like it.
Talking on the phone, that is.
I never have.
It's so awkward!
I talk a lot with my hands and convey messages with my facial expressions, and on the phone, those don't translate.
For instance, on time I was talking with someone I babysit for and they asked if a specific time was good or not and I gave them a thumbs up until I realized that they couldn't see that so I hurriedly had to say sure.
It was awkward.
So there you go.
The tale of why I am sometimes a horrible person and why I am afraid of talking on the phone.
Soooo, if you need to contact me, email me at jbarosin112@gmail.com
Or better yet, snail mail me.
I love getting letters in the mail.
Happy May 2nd!
~Elle

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome.
    I too, have an irrational fear of talking on the phone.

    In regards to your other post on writing, you MUST do National Novel Writing Month this November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not afraid of talking on the phone, but I fear leaving messages.
    And when it gave me the letters to write to post my comment, it said denonki, and I thought I should tell you that, because I thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whimsy, thanks so much for enlightening me about National Novel Writing Month. I was born in November, so I'll try to have an idea that I actually can write about by then.
    Isabel - denonki.
    Really?
    ~Elle

    ReplyDelete