Welcome to my confessions... they aren't quite confessions, but welcome anyway...



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Phrases

Tonight, I heard my mother utter the unfortunate phrase to my younger brother.
The above phrase was as follows "C'mon bud, move your doodles."
My cerebellum has been scarred. FOR LIFE, mind you.
That was horrific!
I, for one, have a thing for coining phrases, and quite a few of them my friends still use to this day, for whatever reason, I don't know.
One of these phrases is boss orange.
Don't ask me where I came up with it. I just did. I was talking with one of my friends and it just came out. The friend I was talking with uses it to this day. Not kidding. I was chatting with her on my cell and she said it. I was shocked. I first said it about a year ago. That is the awesome power of my words, not to toot my own horn.
Another phrase I hear myself saying a lot that I obviously did not come up with is 'I know, right?' More commonly known as 'ikr' in txtspk.
I say it far too much in normal conversation. I mean, with all the known phrases in existence and the ones yet to be made up, and as a potential author, I go with 'I know, right?' Seriously?!
I know, right?!
Sorry.
The voices in my head have many conversations sometimes.
Another phrase that I enjoy using but didn't coin is 'cool beans'. I love saying that so much that I find myself at times jumping into other people's conversations saying "Cool Beans!" just for the sake of saying "Cool Beans!"
I lead no existence, but it is totally OK. Cool beans.
And from the phrase cool beans, I have developed cool beans older, cooler, hipper cousin that expresses fear, or amazement.
This new phrase is "Strange beans."
I say this new one just as much as 'cool beans' and 'I know, right?'. And it is entirely my friend's fault. But that is another story for another day.
Phrases.
They make the world go round.
No, seriously, they do.
Everything we say is a phrase.
If we didn't speak in phrases, we'd just be speaking nonsense words.
Phrases also pop up in music.
Without music, life has no worth.
Kidding.
But seriously, phrases are important in speaking, music, and everyday, general life.

No comments:

Post a Comment